Monthly Construction and Environmental Update
West End (SR 79)West End (SR 79)
- Cross drain pipe and culvert extensions on south end of SR 79 have been completed.
- Temporary Sediment Basins 31 and 32 (west side of Hwy 79, south of BNB interchange) have been installed.
- Utility Work in Project Limits
- Gas utility contractor relocation work delayed due to utility conflict.
- Jefferson County water line installation (under separate NPDES permit) to begin soon.
- Utility delay regarding repositioning of AT&T fiber optic lines. Expected completion date in October.
Mainline and East End (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- Work on local-traffic access road near SR 75 near completion.
- Archaeology excavation completed west of Self Creek near Station 2185
- Soil Nail Wall construction ongoing.
- Retaining Wall foundation work underway from station 2220 to 2234.
- Retaining Wall precast panel erection has begun near station 2219.
- Temporary mainline access bridge over Self Creek has been completed.
- Clearing from Station 2150 to Station 2180 complete.
- Step Pool Conveyance #3 and Diversion Ditch #3 construction from station 2151 to station 2176 have begun.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
- Construction entrances remain stabilized.
- Disturbed areas are temporarily stabilized with blown or hydraulically-applied mulch; diversion berms,slope drains, and sump excavations have been installed where needed.
- Sediment barriers installed at buffers, stream and construction limits.
- Six permanent sedimentation Basins with dewatering devices and baffles are functional.
- Six Level spreaders associated with permanent sedimentation basins are functional.
- Temporary slope drains, diversion berms and swales, sumps, and ditch checks installed along haul road areas.
- 4 Rain Days: 8/8 (0.86”), 8/9 (0.60”), 8/11 (1.06”), 8/19 (0.89”).
- Total rainfall for August approximately: 3.41 inches
- Turbid discharges were observed and reported following the August 11 rainfall event. BMPs were enhanced.
- 4 Rain Days: 9/5 (“1.41”), 9/6 (0.39”), 9/13 (0.43”), 9/16 (1.27”)
- Total rainfall for September approximately: 3.15 inches
- The rain event on September 4 met the regulatory upset threshold under the NPDES permit. Turbid discharge and minor sediment loss from the project was observed and reported to ADEM. ADEM conducted a site inspection on 9/26/14. No violations were noted.