Monthly Construction and Environmental Update
West End (SR 79)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area and issuing tickets.
- Traffic remains re-routed over the completed section of new roadway.
- A new ditch line on east side of SR79 has been completed and pipes installed north of culvert area.
- Section of culvert west of SR79 completed (western half of culvert). Slopes remain stabilized with permanent vegetation, Rolled Erosion Control Products (RECP), and wattles installed at culvert walls and slopes.
- Eastern portion of culvert construction began in January. Exposed areas covered with plastic sheeting.
- Several layers of asphalt have been placed from Bradford Road to south of West Oak Drive on south end of SR79.
- Sediment basin 6 at Old TN Pike Road excavation completed with BMP installation.
- Sediment basin 4 area completed. Slopes remain stabilized with permanent seed and RECP have been installed.
- Ramps and Access Roads are under construction. Completed ramp slopes are stabilized with permanent seed andRECP.
- Perimeter controls remain in place along stream to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remain at Self Creek.
- Sedimentation Basins 5,6,31, 32 (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- On-going construction
- Soil Nail Wall and Pneumatic Concrete Blanket
- Finished slopes stabilized with permanent vegetation.
- Sedimentation basin 7 at Self Creek completed. Level spreader construction completed with Sediment Retention Barrier installed at west creek bank.
- Mainline subgrade has been completely “capped” with small aggregate.
- Step Pool construction completed near Sediment Basin 8.
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs being installed as required or needed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
- Construction entrances remain stabilized with aggregate.
- Diversion berms, slope drains, and drainage sump excavations have been installed where needed.
- Sediment barriers installed at buffers, stream and construction limits.
- Eight permanent and four temporary sedimentation basins with basin dewatering devices and baffles are functional. Active stormwater treatment used as necessary to discharge clean water from basins.
- Eight Level Spreaders associated with permanent Sedimentation basins are functional.
- Temporary slope drains, diversion berms, swales, sumps, wattles, ditch checks, and temporary seed/mulch remain installed.
East End (SR 75)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR75. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area and issuing tickets.
- Lane closure (north bound) is now in effect.
- New ditch line construction on north bound side of SR75 has begun.
- New ditch slopes have been protected with RECP and hay mulch.
- Detention Basin – Basin soils remain stabilized with permanent vegetation. Perimeter BMPs installed to protect Self Creek.
- Road widening and inlet construction for SR75 (south bound) completed.
- Asphalt to be installed in spring of 2016.
- Ramp and access road near church have been paved.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 6 Rain Days: 3/2 (1.12”), 3/4 (1.41”), 3/11 (0.80”), 3/14 (0.55”), 3/25 (0.86”), 3/28 (0.16)
- Total rainfall for March was approximately 4.9 inches.
- There were four “qualifying rain events” (greater than 0.75”) during March.
- Although ALDOT’s Permit does not require water sampling, samples were collected in accordance with ADEM requirements and all sampled discharges met regulatory turbidity limits.