Monthly Construction and Environmental Update
West End (SR 79)
- Culvert construction west of SR79 completed. Fill material being placed over culvert for road bed. Slopes are stabilized with permanent seed, Rolled Erosion Control Netting, and wattles installed at culvert walls.Traffic will be moved over completed culvert section so that culvert section beneath existing lanes of SR 79 can be completed.
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph State troopers are patrolling area and issuing tickets.
- Sedimentation basin at Old TN Pike Road excavation ongoing with BMP installation. Periodic blasting will cause minimal traffic delays.
- Sedimentation basin area cleared with slopes stabilized with temporary seed/mulch.
- Perimeter controls remain in place along Self Creek to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remained on north and south sides of Self Creek.
- Temporary Sediment Retention Barriers 31, 32, and 33 (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- On-going construction
- Soil Nail Wall, and Pneumatic Concrete Blanket
- Blasting of rock throughout mainline section as needed
- Removing waste soil and rock to off-site pits.
- Finished slopes stabilized with permanent vegetation.
- Sedimentation basin 7 at Self Creek clearing begun. Level spreader construction underway with Sediment Retention Barrier installed at west creek bank.
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs being installed as required or needed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
- Construction entrances remain stabilized with aggregate.
- Diversion berms, slope drains, and drainage sump excavations have been installed where needed.
- Sediment barriers installed at buffers, stream and construction limits.
- Six permanent and one temporary sedimentation basin with skimmers and baffles are functional. Active stormwater treatment used as necessary to discharge clean water from basins.
- Six Level Spreaders associated with permanent Sedimentation basins are functional.
- Temporary slope drains, diversion berms, swales, sumps, wattles, ditch checks, and temporary seed/mulch remain installed.
East End (SR 75)
- No construction activity in this area of the project for this period.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 9 Rain Days: 8/6 (0.16”), 8/8 (0.80”), 8/11(0.63”), 8/18 (1.68”), 8/19 (0.45”), 8/20 (0.23”), 8/21 (0.22”), 8/24 (1.00”), 8/31 (1.53”).
- Total rainfall for August was approximately 6.73 inches
- One water quality violation (sedimentation with turbid discharge) for this month occurred on 8/24/15.
- ADEM notified of non-compliant condition on 8/24/15. Sediment was removed from the creek and slope was stabilized.