Monthly Construction and Environmental Update
West End (SR 79)
- Traffic re-routed over the completed section of new roadway on December 11, 2015.
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers patrolling area and issuing tickets
- Section of culvert west of SR79 completed (western half of culvert). Slopes remain stabilized with permanent vegetation, Rolled Erosion Control Products (RECP), and wattles installed at culvert walls and slopes.
- Eastern portion of culvert scheduled to begin construction after January 1, 2016.
- Several layers of asphalt have been placed from Bradford Road to south of West Oak Drive on south end of SR79.
- Sediment basin 6 at Old TN Pike Road excavation mostly completed with BMP installation.
- Sediment basin 4 area completed. Slopes remain stabilized with permanent seed and RECP installed.
- Ramps and Access Roads under construction. Completed ramp slopes stabilized with permanent seed and RECP.
- Perimeter controls remain in place along stream to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remain at Self Creek.
- Temporary Sedimentation Basins 31, 32 (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- On-going construction
- Soil Nail Wall and Pneumatic Concrete Blanket
- Blasting of rock throughout mainline section as needed
- Removing waste soil and rock to off-site pits.
- Finished slopes stabilized with permanent vegetation.
- Sedimentation basin 7 at Self Creek clearing completed. Level spreader construction completed with Sediment Retention Barrier installed at west creek bank.
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs being installed as required or needed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
- Construction entrances remain stabilized with aggregate.
- Diversion berms, slope drains, and drainage sump excavations installed where needed.
- Sediment barriers installed at buffers, stream and construction limits.
- Eight permanent and four temporary sedimentation basins with skimmers and baffles are functional. Active stormwater treatment used as necessary to discharge clean water from basins.
- Eight Level Spreaders associated with permanent Sedimentation basins are functional.
- Temporary slope drains, diversion berms, swales, sumps, wattles, ditch checks, and temporary seed/mulch remain installed.
East End (SR 75)
- Detention Basin – Basin soils stabilized with permanent vegetation. Perimeter BMPs installed to protect Self Creek.
- Road widening and inlet construction for SR75 completed. Final asphalt layer to be completed in spring of 2016.
- Ramp and access road near church have been paved.
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR75. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area and issuing tickets.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 10 Rain Days: 12/2 (2.31”), 12/14 (0.51”), 12/17 (0.62”), 12/21 (0.95”), 12/22 (0.05”), 12/23 (0.24”), 12/24 (0.50”), 12/25 (5.55”), 12/28 (1.42”), 12/31 (0.30”).
- Total rainfall for December was approximately 12.50 inches.
- There were 4 “qualifying rain events” (greater than 0.75”) during December.
- Although ALDOT’s permit does not require sampling, samples were collected in accordance with ADEM requirements and all sampled discharges met regulatory turbidity limits.
- Rainfall on 12/2 caused turbid runoff that was observed prior to sampling. ADEM notified on 12/2 of turbid discharge.
- Rainfall on 12/25 exceeded the 2 year-24 hour design storm of 4.1 inches. ADEM notified on 12/28/15.