Monthly Construction and Environmental Update
West End (SR 79)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area and issuing tickets.
- Section of culvert west of SR79 completed (western half of culvert). Fill material completed over culvert for road bed. Slopes remain stabilized with permanent vegetation, Rolled Erosion Control Products (RECP), and wattles installed at culvert walls and slopes.
- First of several layers of asphalt now placed across western half of culvert to south end of project.
- Traffic scheduled to be re-routed over the completed section of roadway by mid-December while the eastern half of the culvert section under SR79 is constructed.
- Sediment basin 6 at Old TN Pike Road excavation mostly completed with BMP installation.
Sediment basin 4 area completed. Slopes stabilized with permanent seed and RECP installed.
- Ramps and access roads are under construction. Completed ramp slopes are stabilized with permanent seed and RECP.
- Perimeter controls remain in place along stream to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remain at Self Creek.
Temporary Sedimentation basin 31, 32 (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- On-going construction
- Soil Nail Wall and Pneumatic Concrete Blanket
- Blasting of rock throughout mainline section as needed
- Removing waste soil and rock to off-site pits.
- Finished slopes stabilized with permanent vegetation.
- Sedimentation basin 7 at Self Creek clearing completed. Level spreader construction completed with Sediment Retention Barrier installed at west creek bank.
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs being installed as required or needed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
- Construction entrances remain stabilized with aggregate.
- Diversion berms, slope drains, and drainage sump excavations installed where needed.
- Sediment barriers installed at buffers, stream and construction limits.
- Eight permanent and four temporary sedimentation basins with skimmers and baffles are functional. Active stormwater treatment used as necessary to discharge clean water from basins.
- Eight Level Spreaders associated with permanent Sedimentation basins are functional.
- Temporary slope drains, diversion berms, swales, sumps, wattles, ditch checks, and temporary seed/mulch remain installed.
East End (SR 75)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR75. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area and issuing tickets.
- Detention Basin-Earthwork excavation basin completed. Basin soils fertilized and permanently seeded.Perimeter BMPs installed to protect Self Creek.
- Road widening and inlet construction for SR 75 underway.
- Ramp and access road near church have been paved.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 7 Rain Days: 11/2 (1.21”), 11/3 (0.03”), 11/8 (1.59”), 11/9 (0.10”), 11/12 (0.07”), 11/19 (1.70”), 11/30 (0.05”).
- Heavy rainfall on 11/19 caused turbid runoff initially.
- ADEM notified of turbid discharge on 11/19.
- Total rainfall for November was approximately 4.75 inches.
- ADEM site visit on 11/20.
- Site visit on 11/24 by Coalition for Regional Transportation hosting two AL U.S. Congressional delegates (Honorable Terri Sewell and Honorable Gary Palmer).
- All sampled discharges met regulatory numeric turbidity limits.