Monthly Construction and Environmental Update
West End (SR 79)
- Utility delay regarding repositioning of AT&T fiber optic lines. Utilities working on resolution but effect on project progress not known at this time.
- Gas utility relocation work delayed due to AT&T fiber optic issue.
- Jefferson County water line installation (under separate NPDES permit) on-going near Green Drive. BMPs installed by Jefferson County contractor.
- Cross drain pipes and culvert extensions on south end of SR 79 have been completed.
- Slope clearing/roadway widening west of SR79. BMPs in place.
- Temporary Sediment Basins 31 and 32 (with pumps and skimmers) functioning properly.
Mainline and East End (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- Inlets, ditch, and slope work on local-traffic access road near SR 75 completed.
- Archaeology excavation at Station 2205 by rock overhang ongoing.
- Soil Nail Wall construction remains ongoing.
- Retaining Wall foundation work near Self Creek completed.
- Retaining Wall precast panel erection underway.
- Clearing from Station 2150+00 to Station 2180+00 completed.
- Blasting of rock throughout mainline section performed as needed.
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs installed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
- Construction entrances remain stabilized.
- Disturbed areas are temporarily stabilized with blown or hydraulically-applied mulch; diversion berms, slope drains, and sump excavations have been installed where needed.
- Sediment barriers installed at buffers, stream and construction limits.
- Six permanent and one temporary sedimentation basins with dewatering devices and baffles are functional.
- Six Level spreaders associated with permanent sedimentation basins are functional.
- Temporary slope drains, diversion berms, swales, sumps, wattles, ditch checks, and temporary seed/mulch installed along haul roads.
- 4 Rain Days: 10/3 (0.99”), 10/12 (0.30”), 10/14 (2.91”), 10/29 (0.63”).
- Rain event on 10/14 exceeded the required design storm (2 yr-24 hour) for BMPs. ADEM was notified and damaged BMPs were repaired within 5 days. Turbid discharge was observed and reported to ADEM.
- Total rainfall for October was approximately 4.83 inches